Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Island of Hvar

Went to the Island of Hvar and stayed at the town of the same name. The town was absolutely stunning with white stone buildings and streets. It seems to be a theme for people to live on narrow back lanes and hang their laundry between buildings. Lots of beautiful yachts are in the harbour.

I stayed at the Green Lizard hostel and it so far been the best I have stayed. Large rooms, a kitchen, chillin outdoor common areas, and so clean. I met a bunch of travellers from the likes of the US, UK, Canada, Australia, and Sweden. We hit one of the bars where some fellow Canadians got ridiculously drunk.

Ten of us rented a boat one day and took off to a nearby island to swim and sunbath. I got to drive the boat on the way there and no, we did not crash. Well, it was challenging with the two Swedish girls sunbathing on the bow of the boat.

Watch out for sea urchins, one of our crew ended up stepping on one. Ouch! I wore my sandals while swimming after that. The water is so clear and blue and calm. And I cannot believe how buoyant the sea is. You can lie on your back and float with out treading water. The beaches are not especially great here. Most of them are small pebble beaches and the odd sand one. Nothing to make a sand castle with.

That evening there was a power outrages which turned out to be fun. Everyone was walking around town and enjoying the night. Next day some of us went to visit a fortress on the hill of the town and I walked through some of the backstreets of down.

Talk about being hot and humid! It is reminding me of Ghana. I think I saw 35 degrees at one point. I can handle it but being sweaty all the time leads to many showers and doing laundry more often.

About Croatians: The Lonely Planet (or Mr. Planet for some) warned about the high fashion sense of Croatians. Well, they were not joking. The crowd looks like they walked out of a Gucci magazine (especially the women) with Hollywood glasses, black skirts and dresses, expensive jeans, and fancy shoes and all. Lets say I feel a little under dressed. Where they get the money from to buy that stuff, I do not know.

Croatians also keep things clean. The streets are clear of garbage and their hostels are the cleanest I have been to. Someone is always sweeping up in the grocery stores too.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You write very well.

6:54 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home