Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Korcula

From Hvar I took a ferry to Korcula. This is another fantastic place. The old town juts out into the ocean and has a wall around it. There are a maze of streets on the inside. I thought this would be the place where I would try the local food. I stopped for lunch at one small restaurant where I had dish with boiled beef, potatoes, pees with gravy. The beef was so tender and the Croatian beer washed it down nicely.

In the evening I had a fish dish. When they brought it out I suddenly thought I was in Ghana. There was this blob of potatoes in the middle of the plate, fish on the side, with sort of a soap/sauce poured over it. Fortunately, it tasted a lot better than fufu. The local white wine was also nice.

I made a trip to one a nearby town. The captain of the taxi ferry was super nice and had lots of stories about Croatia. He had also been the captain of a cargo ship for thirty years and travelled around the world. I guess for 2 months running his taxi ferry he can make enough to live on for 6 months. Guess the tourism is bringing in the dollars. Also, he said that he could sell his land that he owned in Dubronik for about 1 million Euros.

The beach I was heading to was supposed to be the best around but I was very disappointed. It was a pretty small sandy beach and it was full of people. Two Aussies girls came along and they were not that happy about it either. They thought it was not secluded enough for them to go topless...now I was really, really disappointed...

I stayed at a hostel run by South Africans. The certainly cram you in there however the bar was super cool. You sit on comfy pillows with exotic carpets on the wall and warm lamps. I ended up meeting again one of the people from the UK I saw in Hvar. We all later went out that evening for a few drinks.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:11 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home